Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sweet Potatoes, So Good and So Healthy!!

Mmmm, the smell of sweet potatoes baking in the oven right now is so amazing. I wish you guys could smell this! I have had them baking in there for about an hour and 15 minutes and they are just about done. Some easy ways to check if they are ready are 1) if you can smell them, 2) by squeezing them gently and testing for softness and 3) they generally begin oozing out their sweet and natural juices once cooked through.

This week, I have decided to embark on a journey of healthier and cleaner eating. I noticed that I eat a lot of junk and have been feeling quite sluggish and unhappy with myself lately. I am always prone to getting sick and my immune system really just doesn't work that well. I don't take vitamins and my internal clock is so messed up that I cannot sleep at night. Seriously, if I cannot take care of myself, then who will? There is no better way to love myself than to start moving forward to doing things that will help me be healthier and feel better.

Today, I am going to show you a few of my favorite ways of making sweet potatoes. These sweets potatoes would serve as great snacks and/or sides to any meals. They are so tasty and so very nutritious at the same time. Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, potassium and major source of skin protecting beta-carotene as well. By eating a sweet potato, you can get your nutrients and enjoy eating something that is healthy and good for you at the same time. What do you have to lose? I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.

For all of these recipes, you are welcome to use any kind of sweet potato that you can find. Yellow, purple or orange work just fine. Note that they do differ in texture and sweetness though. And, no matter the color, I prefer to pick the smaller potatoes as there is less of a likelihood that they would be 'old' or contain roots in the center and be 'stringy' in consistency. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone who needs help in picking potatoes! Also, please keep in mind that the cooking times below are based on small sized sweet potatoes. Please adjust cooking time as needed. Remember, the larger the potato, the more time you will need for baking.
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Always, always, ALWAYS wash and dry your potatoes thoroughly. Leave the skin on and wrap them in aluminum foil. Place them in a cookie tray to catch any liquids that may ooze out during the cooking period. Depending on size, the time that you need to bake the potatoes will vary. For shorter cooking times, I would suggest a higher temperature (400 degrees Fahrenheit) at 45 minutes. If you do not mind 'slow cooking' the potatoes, then you can also do a lower temperature (375 degrees Fahrenheit) at 1 hour and 15 minutes. Just so you know, both ways yield the same result. The sweet potatoes are very hot when done, so please be careful!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Place a pot on the stove and boil some water. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes, remember relatively the same size so that they will cook evenly. Once the water is boiling, add the sweet potato and boil for about 5-8 minutes, until fork tender. When ready, drain the water and return the pot back on the stove, setting the fire at low. Add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mash the sweet potatoes and add chicken broth as needed. Depending on what kind of consistency you want, you can add as much or as little liquid as you want. Also, note that I was not particular with the measurements of the spices as you can alter that to your liking as well. You can omit or add any extra spice for a twist too. Also, for sweeter potatoes, add some brown sugar before mashing!
Sweet Potato Fries
Wash and thoroughly dry your potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes in evenly sliced wedges. Toss the wedges in some olive oil, salt and pepper. For a little extra flavor, I also like to add any dried herbs that I have on hand (i.e. parsely, thyme, rosemary, etc). Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil. Place the wedges onto the baking sheet and make sure that none of them are touching. Set your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden on the outside and tender in the center. Be sure to turn the wedges several times to avoid having them stick to the sheet. Let is cool for 5 minutes and then it is ready to serve!
I hope these recipes help serve as a great guideline for making these healthy snacks and/or sides at home. Hopefully this encourages you to try healthier and cleaner eating as well. For more healthy recipes like this, please leave your comments below and like this post. Stay tuned for more recipes to come!

Happy eating and warm wishes from our kitchen to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment