Thursday, May 23, 2013

Weekend Adventures at Smorgasburg!!

Despite the rain last weekend, my fiance and I with a couple of friends trekked out to Brooklyn to check out Smorgasburg in Williamsburg. Though it was raining and a bit chilly since we were close by the water, we still managed to have a pretty great time. If you have never been to Smorgasburg, I would highly recommend that you go and check it out. It's a great place to hang out with friends, grab a few bites and get a couple of homemade yummy drinks. If you do plan on going though, I would suggest that you go by noon since most of the shops were either sold out or closing up because of the inclement weather. I was a little bit disappointed since the rain really wasn't even that bad. It was only drizzling at most and it began to taper off later in the evening anyway. (Beverage in the image was from Bolivian Llama Party. Unfortunately, we did not try any of their food, but their homemade drinks were unique and really good!)

At Smorgasburg, there is a giant selection of foods to try. It is advertised as the Brooklyn Flea Food Market and is located in Williamsburg on Saturdays and Dumbo on Sundays. They are open from 11AM-6PM every weekend and is easily accessibly by train or bus.

Most of these foods that we had purchased from the market ranged from $6-$10.  You can see a list of all the vendors here. Our first stop was We Rub You. They serve pork and beef bulgogi sliders that are marinated in their own original Korean BBQ sauce that is available on their website. We opted to try both sliders, but my favorite had to have been the pork bulgogi slider with kimchi cucumber and chimichurri. The slider was sweet with a slight bit of spicy. The kimchi added such a great crunch and the freshness of the cucumber really made it a hit! The slider was super tasty, very well marinated and probably one of my favorites that day.

Next, we stopped by Red Hook Lobster only to find out at they were already sold out for the day. It was only 2:30 in the afternoon and I have to admit that I was a little bit disappointed. Maybe next time, we just need to go a little earlier. We did notice that there were several other places that were already closing shop as well, so maybe we did go by too late. Regardless, we still wanted to check out what was left. 

We visited Choncho's Tacos next for fish tacos. They came either fried or grilled and we had ordered a serving of each. They both came with the same toppings and the only difference was how the fish was prepared.The grilled fish tacos were actually a little bit fishy to me. The fried fish tacos on the other hand were perfection. They were fried well and stayed crunchy regardless of the wet toppings that sat on top of the taco. I'm not sure what kind of dressing they used, but it was so delicious. I would highly recommend this booth to get your fish taco fix.

The next two places that we visited was after we had already made a couple rounds around the market. We first got takoyaki at Mimi & Coco NYC. They had a selection of sausage, shrimp and potato. We had ordered a serving of shrimp and sausage, but somehow, our order had gotten mixed up and we received potato as well. I have to admit that I was not super impressed with these as I love the original takoyaki recipe with octopus. These were only mediocre at best and of the three, I actually favored the potato, which tasted like seasoned mashed potatoes.

The last place that we visited, I unfortunately cannot find a link for and I cannot remember the name of their booth for the life of me either. AH! Actually, I think they were called Brooklyn Wok Shop. (Thank you handy dandy Google search!) They were serving different types of rangoon. There was crab, a vegetarian option and another one that I cannot recall. Anyway, of course we ordered the Crab Rangoon. It was so very delicious and absolutely the right choice. They were deep fried, crunchy and savory, but did not taste anything like crab to me. The first thought that I had was oddly clam chowder. Though they didn't taste anything like crab to me, I had to admit that they were still very good. Yes, I would recommend that you try out this booth as well!

Though it was a rainy and pretty chilly afternoon for us, we still were able to try a variety of foods here. There were a number of vendors that I did not get to try, but would love to make a return trip for. It was only an hour away on the bus and train for us and I thought it was worth every minute of the trip. It wasn't as crowded as it normally was since Googamooga was the same weekend and there was a tad bit of rain. It was a comfortable atmosphere to hang out and chat with a couple of friends as well. Even though a lot of shops closed early, it didn't make much of a difference to us. I mean, how much food can one eat at once anyway, right? Overall, I really liked the experience and would love to go visit again! If you haven't already tried it, I'd suggest that you do so over the summer and when the weather is actually nice. There is a beautiful view of the New York City skyline, a body of water and a ton of food to try out! What do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment