Thursday, March 14, 2013

Soups and Salads Galore, Yellow Split Pea Soup Recipe Included!

With Spring coming and bikini season shortly after, I've really been trying to eat clean and healthy. Let me tell you, I actually gave up rice and have been doing super well! So far, I've lost 3 lbs, I know a small success, but I'm so, SO excited to do more. We're even looking into getting a treadmill so that I can exercise at home as well! You might wonder, why not just run outside? I actually have really weak ankles and have a tendency of rolling them a lot (yes, A LOT!) outdoors on unlevel pavement so I'm doing what I can do strengthen them and be healthy!

Lately, I've been really crazy about soups and salads. I probably eat salad twice a day (one for lunch and a small side with dinner) with small snacks here and there if I'm feeling hungry. I've also cut out a lot of the sugar filled unhealthy snacks that we all love to binge eat on. I realize, if you don't have it, you don't crave it. I'm also trying my best to stock our fridge and cabinets with only healthy, wholesome foods. Luckily, I have a really good self control when it comes to candies and sweets, so I don't really crave those either.

I know, salads can get really boring so how do you eat salad every day, twice a day? It's easy! Mix it up with all of your favorite ingredients or change up the dressing and it never gets boring or flat! I've been obsessing over this new dressing that I got at Trader Joe's called Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette. It's so good, so healthy and low fat! If you change up your protein selection, add different fruits and nuts, a salad can be so healthy and so filling. Trust me, you can do this too!

As a bonus, I've decided to include my Split Pea Soup recipe below. I know, not the healthiest choice in soup, but when a girl is not feeling well, you feed her what she wants! (Yes, I'm talking about myself in third person, haha!).

Last week when I wasn't feeling well, my boo couldn't find Split Pea Soup ANYWHERE! I mean what diner, deli, hot bar place doesn't sell it? Long story short, I'm glad he couldn't find it because I decided to make my own, where I can actually control what goes into my soup. Less fat, less sodium, not so bad after all, right? (haha!) If you are interested in making this split pea soup, please keep reading below.
Yellow Split Pea Soup
Ingredients
1 (16 oz) package of yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
4 C low sodium chicken broth
2 C water
1 medium onion, diced
4 small cloves or 2 large cloves garlic, smashed
1 small ham steak, cubed
* optional: croutons for garnish
This is by far one of the easiest soups I've made since all you need to do is throw everything in a soup pot and let it boil. Once it boils, lower the heat to a simmer and let it sit there until the split peas are soft. This takes about 30 minutes. Pour this mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pot and let simmer for another 10 minutes before serving. You may or may not want to add salt as I think that the ham steak has done its job adding a lot of yummy flavor. Enjoy!
P.S. Just as a tip, you may add water or chicken as needed or to your desired consistency! I made enough for the following day and have found that it has thickened up quite a  bit. Still delicious!

Happy eating with love from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment