Friday, March 15, 2013

Cooking Steak to Perfection!!

Apparently, yesterday was "White Day," a holiday that some people celebrate in Asia. (You can learn more about it here.) It generally is a holiday equivalent to that of a Valentine's Day and differs in the countries that do celebrate it. Anyway, coincidentally, I did make steak last night because the fiance asked for it.

It was cooked to perfection with a little help from this recipe that I found online at Steamy Kitchen. She basically describes the secret to a tender, flavorful, perfect steak. All you need is a little bit of time and a lot of sea salt.

The step by step process that she described is exactly what I did with my steaks. We used boneless short rib only because that's what we had in the fridge and I wanted to pan sear it for a quick and easy meal. With prior experience from cooking these in the oven, I knew they usually took a long cooking time and sometimes ended up being tough if not cooked properly. Anyway, with the method described by Steamy Kitchen, I was able to treat this like a steak and pan seared it to perfection.

The boneless short rib that I had were about an inch and a half thick. According to her guidelines, I was to generously salt the meat and let it rest in room temperature for an hour and a half. Of course, I lost track of time and left it resting for around 2 hours instead, but it still worked perfectly! As a side note and after reading numerous of the reviews on her site, I just wanted to reiterate that you have to use sea salt or kosher salt, not table salt and thoroughly wash off the salt prior to cooking the meat!

After thoroughly washing the salt off of the meat, I heated some oil in a pan on medium high and threw the boneless short ribs right in. I sprinkled some pepper on it while searing it on the first side. I did 3 minutes per side and let it rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before cutting into it.

Let me tell you, just like that, the boneless ribs were perfect! They were tender, pink on in inside and had a great bite! As a bonus, I did whip  up a garlic sauce after searing all of the meats simply by browning some butter in the leftover oils and adding minced garlic until it was fragrant and crispy. Topping it over the steak was uber perfection! I served it with a side of sweet potato for me, mashed potatoes for the boo and brussel sprouts for the both of us. It couldn't have been simpler. Thank you Steamy Kitchen!

Happy eating with much love from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment